Kokkinisto: Greek Chicken in Red Sauce
Yield 4 Servings
A chicken dish with Greek-style sweet red sauce and hearty tomatoes.
- Chicken, 4 thighs and 3 legs, rinsed and patted dry
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 4 large beefsteak tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp. McCormick Greek Spice
- Grated "Kefaloyri" or Pecorino cheese (optional)
- Rinse the chicken and pat completely dry with paper towels to prevent splashing in the oil when browning.
- Heat a large pot very well on high heat, then add olive oil.
- Sprinkle chicken with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Brown on all sides.
- Add chopped onion and sliced garlic cloves to the same pot, and sauté for two minutes.
- Add the dry white wine, continuing to sauté until most of the wine has evaporated.
- Add the large chopped tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of Greek spice.
- Cover the pot and simmer on low for 45 minutes. Feel free to stir once in a while.
- Optional: top with grated "Kefaloyri" or Pecorino cheese.
- This dish is best served over a bed of rice pilaf or a thick spaghetti.
Kali Orexi, Enjoy Your Meal!
Recipe by Thyme with Catherine at http://thymewithcatherine.com/kokkinisto-greek-chicken-in-red-sauce/