A simple and classic Portuguese recipe that can be served alone, or over pasta or rice as a full meal.
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1 lb. fresh jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tsp. butter
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 12 oz. beer (Corona)
- ½ cup water
- Juice of a large lemon
- 1 tsp. crushed hot peppers
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, gently toss the shrimp in flour. This will give it a little bit of texture when sautéing.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and butter.
- Place the shrimp in the skillet and sauté on medium-high heat for 1 minute each side.
- Add the remaining butter and fresh garlic, and continue cooking for about a minute longer.
- Add the beer, lemon juice, and water, cooking on high-heat for about 3 more minutes.
- Finally, add the crushed pepper flakes, and fresh parsley.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Kali Orexi, Enjoy Your Meal!
If you're serving this over pasta, add 1/2 cup of pasta-water instead of the plain water. Consider pouring the entire Mozambique over the pasta, and serve in an oversized serving bowl with some oven-toasted buttered bread for dipping.
Recipe by Thyme with Catherine at http://thymewithcatherine.com/shrimp-mozambique/