Spicy Parmesan-Infused Red Sauce with Penne Pasta
Yield 4 servings
An old-school Greek take on a spicy red sauce. Inspired by the fine cooking of Florence and Rome.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 large whole garlic cloves
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut in half
- 1 28oz can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp. salt (or to your liking)
- 1 tbsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- large handful of fresh snipped basil
- 5 large Parmesan cheese rinds
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Heat a large cast iron pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and garlic, and cook for just under a minute.
- Add the carrot and stir for another minute.
- Add the can of tomatoes, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, then stir.
- Add the fresh basil and cheese rinds.
- Cover, lower heat to medium-low, and cook for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- During the last 15 minutes, bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Salt the water and cook the penne pasta 3 minutes UNDER the listed cooking time on the package.
- Save 1/2 cup of the pasta water from the pot, then drain the pasta.
- Remove the basil, carrot, cheese rinds, and garlic cloves if they haven't dissolved.
- Add the reserved pasta water to the sauce, then add the pasta.
- Cook pasta in sauce for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When pasta is ready, turn off heat and add 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese to the pot.
- Drizzle olive oil over the pasta, gently blend, and it's ready to roll!
Kali Orexi, Enjoy Your Meal!
Recipe by Thyme with Catherine at http://thymewithcatherine.com/spicy-parmesan-infused-tomato-sauce-with-penne-pasta/